I like sitting on trains going places. Its a little bit like window shopping - you can look at places as they go past and you know that you wouldn't want to live anywhere near a town. But then you pass somewhere and think, hey yeah I could live there seems a good place. Granted there's no knowledge on whether the locals like to turn up with pitchforks when someone moves in but I think I've drawn the metaphor enough...
I spent some time wandering around a prospective new city, seems a nice place. It struck me how much of a similarity I was looking for to places past. At least if things do come off and I move I need to find a decent coffee shop; as I suspect I may be getting homesick for a mocha back at my old haunt!
So yeah in other news I decided to push myself out and about - boredom is a wonderful thing - and went speed dating. Yeah the first time I've ever done something like that, possibly the last. I don't want to say anything against the people as they were all good to talk to; and to be honest I had a good evening. But blimey I'm sure someone somewhere has referred to us as Generation-Y or the Bridget Jones Generation; I suppose the one that sticks with me is the fast-food generation - we want someone and want them now! I've heard various clubs I was in in my earlier 20s referred to as cattle-markets in the past but this was something else. I suppose you argue that I didn't know what to make of it, and you'd be right - I went along primarily to get out to chat to people.
It was certainly confidence building exercise it proved I'm not quite the social hermit I feared that I was. But I suppose everyone has their expectations and (though it sounds big-headed to say it) social circle and I'm not sure this was mine, didn't quite feel that I fitted in so well. So its an idea off the list for the moment.
Souvenirs, pest control and rain later.
4 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment