Last night I watched the BBC Sports Personality of the Year - it represents sporting achievement in the UK. Amongst all the achievement of the evening was something that moved me greatly. Not because it was a world championship or a great win coming from behind. Every year there is the Lifetime Achievement Award, this year it was awarded to Seve Ballesteros.
I've alluded several times on this blog I'm a bit of a golfer - but Seve was the guy that inspired me to take up the game. The joy, drive and imagination that he played with. Especially in the winning of his majors. Maybe more so it draws sharp comparison with the stories of Tiger Woods at the moment. But in Seve there is still such heart and fight, to fight against the brain cancer that affects him at present. I suppose its a difficult line to draw because there are many people affected by such conditions out of the media limelight (I guess you could add the Tiger Woods incident as well). But I'm choosing Seve simply because of the raw emotion of the guy in what he did and he inspires me every time I go out on the course. Delighted for the guy, and his heart and determination.
Souvenirs, pest control and rain later.
4 days ago
I often find that people don't have to do something spectacular to inspire me. Sometimes just a show of sheer determination to fight the odds while expressing joy and strength through it all is enough.
ReplyDelete